Monday, May 9, 2011

Carry On: Hasselblad CF 50mm Distagon F4 Lens

© 2011 Brian Adams

Hasselblad and Zeiss--what else do I need to say. You can't go wrong when you're toting the finest Swedish-made cameras with the best German-made optics.

The Hasselblad CF 50mm Distagon F4 lens was introduced in 1982, replacing the C lens line. At F4, the CF 50mm is not the fastest lens out there, but because I normally use it for portraits, F4 is fine. The 50mm on a medium-format camera is equivalent to a 28mm lens on a 35mm camera. One of my favorite things about the lens is that it can focus as close as 19 in. At 1 lb 12 oz, it gets a little heavy after a full day of photographing, but the images produced with it make it worth the extra weight. My CF 50mm was made in 1984, (A year before I was born!), which makes it 27 years old. I am hoping to be carrying it on for at least another 30!

If you're interested in seeing the newer version of the CF 50mm Distagon F4, check it out here.

No comments: